The precocious 18-year-old’s first release on Big Dada is a collection of futuro-beats that bring to mind Arca, Death Grips, Yung Lean’s Sad Boys crew and everything in between. The component parts of, say, a TNGHT beat are all present and correct on tracks like ‘Throat Behaviour’ - booming kicks, snaking melodies, that sort of thing. However, Whiston treats them with distortion and overdrive, and his gnarly way with rhythm and melody turns these base materials into something far more ferocious and industrial. While the largely instrumental EP allows Whiston to give his electronics a thorough workout, rising South London MC BUCHANAN turns in a haunting verse on the Massive Attack-flavoured ‘Icarus’.
- 1 Pushchair 4:28 Kai Whiston Buy
- 2 Vein Cloak 4:15 Kai Whiston Buy
- 3 Erroll 2:42 Kai Whiston Buy
- 4 Throat Behaviour 4:12 Kai Whiston Buy
- 5 Icarus 2:02 Kai Whiston featuring BUCHANAN Buy
- 6 Den 4:19 Kai Whiston Buy