Multi-media artist Max Cooper inaugurates his Mesh imprint with the release of his second full length. Combining his interest in science, music and visual arts, the label will focus on such interdisciplinary projects. Emergence, which comes two years after Human, thus sees the London producer make use of his computational biology Ph.D. Each of the 11 tracks soundtracks a piece by different visual artists, including collaborations with mathematicians and scientists for real data visualisation, and aims at nothing short of telling the story of how the universe emerged.
Emergence is as genre-spanning as it is multi-sensory. The tracks with London pianist and composer Tom Hodge mark its calmer moments, assuming a modern classical aesthetic pursued by the likes of Nils Frahm or Peter Broderick, while the detailed mallets ‘Order from Chaos’ are evocative of Pantha du Prince. Beat-led songs like ‘Organa’ or ‘Cyclic’, as fragmented their rhythms might appear, are belted by overarching melodies, convincingly sounding the evolution of organic matter. ‘Impermanence’ lives up to its name as an ambient, noisy meandering of textural movement. As distinct as their feel might be, the notion of complex, abstract ideas resonates in each of the songs, binding them as a whole.
Digital Track List
- 1 Symmetry Max Cooper, Tom Hodge 3:47 Buy
- 2 Seed Max Cooper 4:25 Buy
- 3 Waves Max Cooper 5:31 Buy
- 4 Distant Light Max Cooper 5:33 Buy
- 5 Myth Max Cooper, Tom Hodge 3:57 Buy
- 6 Order from Chaos Max Cooper 7:41 Buy
- 7 Cyclic Max Cooper 6:56 Buy
- 8 Impermanence Max Cooper 6:43 Buy
- 9 Trust Max Cooper, Tom Hodge 4:44 Buy
- 10 Organa Max Cooper 5:55 Buy
- 11 Unbounded Max Cooper 6:23 Buy