- 2016 re-issue
- Packaged in a jacket and inner sleeve both featuring spot UV printing
- Includes redeemable download card
Vinyl, 1×LPOut of stock
In stock, shipping now.
Second album from Chicago band Tortoise, first released in 1996 by Thrill Jockey and now given a handsome, much-deserved reissue in ‘15/16. Tortoise here are represented by Dan Bitney, John Herndon, Douglas McCombs, John McEntire, David Pajo, and on Millions Living Never Die they, alongside contemporaries Slint, Labradford, and Stars of The Lid wrote the –American- template for what is now universally known as ‘post-rock’. Where those bands revelled in stately low-tempo arrangements, Tortoise have always pushed the electronics, even in these early days (the bit-crushed funk of ‘The Taut and The Tame’ shows that), and nodded to Cologne, Dussledorf and the 70s’ Krautrock scene here on the driving epic of ‘Djed’. Twenty years old but still sounding 100% vital- a must purchase for fans of this sound.
Digital Track List
- 1 Djed 20:57 Tortoise
- 2 Glass Museum 5:27 Tortoise Buy
- 3 A Survey 2:52 Tortoise Buy
- 4 The Taut and Tame 5:02 Tortoise Buy
- 5 Dear Grandma and Grandpa 2:29 Tortoise Buy
- 6 Along the Banks of Rivers 5:50 Tortoise Buy