Manchester-based producer Contours makes his debut on the excellent Rhythm Section International with a six-piece, handcrafted exercise in rhythmic percussion on his Technician EP. Spread across the six cuts, Contours draws on his drumming roots and fuses them with dancefloor sensibility whilst staying true to the dusty RSI aesthetics, kicking off with the looped-up, sunken swing of the title cut, followed by the sleek, saxophone-tinged ‘Eyes Down’ and the muffled strut of ‘Back And Forth’. Next, ‘Seven Arched Tongues’ sports the Brit’s understanding of rhythm, utilising interlocking percussion to bed in a heavy swing, topped with subtle thumb-piano notes, whilst ‘Blossom Towers’ boasts deft finger drumming and smudgy synth melodies, finally rounding off on the lackadaisical, late night smog of ‘Green Yellow Brown’.
Vinyl, EPOut of stock
- 1 Technician 4:19 Contours Buy
- 2 Eyes Down 2:50 Contours Buy
- 3 Back and Fourth 3:25 Contours Buy
- 4 Seven Arched Tongues 5:28 Contours Buy
- 5 Blossom Towers 6:00 Contours Buy
- 6 Greenyellowbrown 4:46 Contours Buy