London based creative Richard Smith gained notoriety last year when he provided the inaugural release for the Optimo Trax series. M Is A Shape is his first release for Ecstatic Recordings and it works well as a signpost to where Smith exists in the vista of electronic music. Fusing Berghain-standard drum patterns with abrasive EBM fuzz, the record might only be 8 tracks long but it piles in a weight of influences and new ideas. The floor-ready hi-hats of Sun Shape contrast hugely with the dream-like arpeggiations of closer 2040_0305 but it is this very dichotomy that makes M Is A Shape a record worth giving time to.
In stock. Shipping now.
WAV / FLAC
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
- 1 Untitled (Opening Scene) 1:47 L/F/D/M Buy
- 2 Drifting Pyramid 3:42 L/F/D/M Buy
- 3 Insect Cylinders 5:15 L/F/D/M Buy
- 4 New X 2:01 L/F/D/M Buy
- 5 Sun Shape 5:12 L/F/D/M Buy
- 6 Book of Five 2:38 L/F/D/M Buy
- 7 Black Shadows 6:02 L/F/D/M Buy
- 8 No Cure 4:10 L/F/D/M Buy
- 9 Tape Tension Pt.1 2:23 L/F/D/M Buy
- 10 2040_0305 2:42 L/F/D/M Buy