The tracks on Against All Logic’s 2017-2019 go further than any of the project’s previous records. AAL mastermind Nicolas Jaar has hinted at harshening his sound in the past - the uptempo LP 2012-2017 was flecked with digital distortion and sometimes hinted at a more hard-bitten sound lurking beneath the sample-house bangers. However, the manner in which he switches things up here is still thrillingly unexpected.
The core style of 2017-2019 is techno, and hard techno at that. This is best represented in a stern, fuzzed-up mid-section run, from the Lydia Lunch-featuring power-electronics banger ‘If You Can’t Do It Good, Do It Hard’ up to the seasick minimal lurch of ‘Faith’. Jaar moves outwards from this core style in a variety of directions at either end of 2017-2019, maintaining a moody experimentalism all the while. ‘With An Addict’ and ‘Penny’ are the most uptempo jams here - the former, a fluttering juke joint, is an instant highlight - while industrial noise sharpens the edges of the relatively melodic opening duo ‘Fantasy’ and ‘If Loving You Is Wrong’. 2017-2019 does not deal in tracks which will slot seamlessly into a mix, and this uncompromising air is what makes it such a delight.
On Against All Logic’s 2017-2019, Nicolas Jaar gives in to his darker impulses. In doing so, he creates some of the best music of his career.
Digital Track List
- 1 Fantasy Against All Logic 5:11 Buy
- 2 If Loving You Is Wrong Against All Logic 3:56 Buy
- 3 With an Addict Against All Logic 7:04 Buy
- 4 If You Can't Do It Good, Do It Hard Against All Logic featuring Lydia Lunch 3:57 Buy
- 5 Alarm Against All Logic 1:51 Buy
- 6 Deeeeeeefers Against All Logic 5:49 Buy
- 7 Faith Against All Logic 6:59 Buy
- 8 Penny Against All Logic 6:40 Buy
- 9 You (forever) Against All Logic 3:55 Buy
A.A.L (Against All Logic)