Faitiche presents a new album by Andrew Pekler: Sounds From Phantom Islands brings together ten tracks created over the last three years for the interactive website Phantom Islands - A Sonic Atlas. With his 2016 album Tristes Tropiques, Pekler created a highly unique cosmos of ethnographic sound speculations. Sounds From Phantom Islands continues and simultaneously expands this concept: finely elaborated chordal motifs float like fog over fictional maritime landscapes. A masterpiece of contemporary Exotica.
Phantom islands are islands that appeared on historical maps but never actually existed. The status of these artefacts of European colonial expansion from the 15th to the 19th century oscillates between cartographic fact and maritime fiction. Sounds From Phantom Islands interprets and presents these imaginations as a quasi-ethnographic catalog of music and synthetic field recordings. The pieces on this album are based on recordings made for Phantom Islands - A Sonic Atlas, an online interactive map developed with cultural anthropologist Stefanie Kiwi Menrath.
- 1 Approximate Bermeja Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 2 Hy Brasil Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 3 Sunshower at Sandy Island Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 4 Saxenburgh / Pepys / Aurora Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 5 Los Jardines Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 6 Taprobana Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 7 Description of Rain (Over Frisland) Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 8 Fonseca Winds (Lament) Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 9 Onaseuse / Crespo / Rica de Oro Andrew Peckler 2:00
- 10 Tuanahe Andrew Peckler 2:00
- Simon Fisher Turner
- Life Recordings From Prospect Cottage And The Ness
- The Tapeworm
- Catalogue Number