Stonedwave - one of the quirkier labels coming out of Germany at the moment - drop a schizophrenic ep from Jochen Heym. There’s all sorts going on on Sononaut, so it’s best to take things track-by-track:
- Opener ‘Exit Vessel’ is a super-wacky and hyperactive cut. A tinny d&b groove remains constant, but atop it we get everything from pretty piano to synth-bass freakouts.
- ‘Winterlicht’ is a gorgeous and floating ambience that recalls Brian Eno’s seminal mood music.
- ‘Init Conversation’ is big-beat techno that also borrows from acid and hardcore.
- ‘Unreachable’ is pensive, wheezing electronica ala Autechre.
- Things close out with the cling-clang tubular loop-track ‘Final Transmission’.
A mixed bag, then. Good though.