Out on Local Action, the sound and visual artist Sim Hutchins follows on from ‘Clubeighteen2thirty’ with a similarly titled work that continues to meditate on the less glamorous aspects of rave culture. With titles like ‘Pissing Blue WKD’ Hutchins deconstructs the euphoric identity associated with clubbing, revealing a part of the equation that is often edited out of the narrative by DJs and promoters. Harnessing this energy, Hutchins presents listeners with two original works and three remixes from the last EP. ‘Like Herding Cats’ stutters forward at an unusual yet catchy beat, with trance elements glistening over the consistency of the drums; ‘Pissing Blue WKD’ is all shards of broken beat experimentation punctuated with bleeps and sampled alarm sounds. Tokyo-based Renick Bell’s revamp of ‘Baby You’a Drug’ emphasises the eastern aspects of the song, seeming to pause for effect at points before lifting off.
WAV / FLAC$5.99
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
- 1 Pissing WKD Blue 5:49 Sim Hutchins Buy
- 2 Like Herding Cats 5:14 Sim Hutchins Buy
- 3 Bath Salts in the Saccharin (LOFT's Artificially Sweetened Luv Mix) 5:50 Sim Hutchins Buy
- 4 Dumped by Pirate Radio (Object Blue Remix) 4:24 Sim Hutchins Buy
- 5 Baby You'a Drug (Renick Bell Remix) 5:44 Sim Hutchins Buy