Kranky (Forma, Tim Hecker) drop the debut LP from Californian drone act Less Bells. Despite being the solo project of one Julie Carpenter, on Solifuge Less Bells conjure a sound that would have you thinking they were a ten-piece band if you didn’t know better. By layering strings, synths, voice and Optigan (we didn’t know what that was either - turns out it’s a funny kind of organ) Carpenter manages to create a series of cinematic ambiences here. The abstract and widescreen instrumentals of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds’ Skeleton Tree comes to mind, as does Cave & Warren Ellis’ film score work. ‘Golden Storm’ also displays a little New Age influence.
In stock, shipping now.
CDOut of stock
WAV / FLAC$11.99
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
- 1 Bird in Hand 4:32 Less Bells Buy
- 2 Forest Ghosts 4:13 Less Bells Buy
- 3 Desert 5:21 Less Bells Buy
- 4 Valentine 6:02 Less Bells Buy
- 5 Bombardment 3:11 Less Bells Buy
- 6 Golden Storm 4:20 Less Bells Buy
- 7 Milwaukee Protocol 13:12 Less Bells Buy
- 8 The Gills 7:56 Less Bells Buy