Amazing and visceral recordings of Sudanese musical extrovert Abu Obaida Hassan. Ostinato present a meticulously curated assortment of swirling modified tambour, hypnotic rhythms and call and response vocals that remind us of classic Turkish psych or Creole Gwo’Ka. From the first track we’re thrust deep into Hassan’s musical world, acoustic and raw but full of energy. Way more in line with Sublime Frequencies etc than the countless African disco and boogie reissues, this is a must check for fans of early ethnographic recordings and the lineage of non-Western folk traditions. Will be getting repeated spins round these parts at least!
Estimated shipping in 7 days. This item is not in stock, but is available from our suppliers.
If there are any issues in fulfilling your order we will contact you immediately.
- 1 Daweena 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 2 Qamar Al Massa (Moon of the Night) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 3 Nas Fi Nas (People on People) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 4 Fargooni (They Left Us) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 5 Shofo Alla (Find Me A Solution) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 6 Amshy Shoof (Go Find Your Own Love) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 7 La...La (Don't Say I Am Betraying You) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- 8 Dayer Anwer Lek (Light Your Path) 1:00 Abu Obaida Hassan
- Various Artists
- Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes from the Horn of Africa
- Ostinato Records
- Catalogue Number
- Release Date
- August 2017